Interesting Ramblings of a Brooklyn Girl

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

She Should Switch to DeCaf

I have recently come across a blog written by a New Yorker, more specifically from Brooklyn, who moved to Connecticut. The description of this blog in a New York Times article leads the reader to believe that this is a blog about her transition from city life to suburban life. But once you get to the site and begin reading her posts, it seems more like one lady's random rambling about her life.

From the handful of postings of hers that I have read, there seemed to be no mention of her life in the suburbs, nor her life in the city. This blog seems to be an amalgamation of many different subjects. She mentions family problems, relationship issues, movie and television show critiques, and even recipes.

There are some things I would recommend changing if she was ever looking to attract new readers. When I first started reading her blog I was very confused. Posts are structured in such a way that she seems to be writing to people who have always read her blog. When a new reader comes in, it is confusing. She refers to her husband as SO, and just expects the reader to know that. It took me reading about 5 or 6 postings before I figured out who SO really was.

This issue is something I think all blog writers should be conscious of when posting. Should they write each post as if their audience was a new reader? Or should they basically isolate any new reader and write only for their main following? I do know that "caffeine girl" seriously turned me off to reading her postings on a regular basis; because I think it will be annoying to have to go back and read her stuff from the beginning just so I will completely understand who I am reading about.

Reading this specific blog did make me realize something. This form of writing can be extremely useful in certain instances. The writer had mentioned the topic of a bone marrow donation in one of her postings. This post had me thinking about all the patients out there in need of a bone marrow donation and what this medium of blogging can bring to the situation. People can post about the needing of a donation or even use a blog as an outlet to write about their situation. A web log can be a greater form of therapy than any person ever imagined. Not only is it free, a person may be more open to a computer screen, than to a doctor who is sitting right in front of them. All-in-all this site wasn't all that terrible.

The best part was I learned how the make the "Perfect Bellini." Need I say more?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:43 PM, Blogger Kukka-Maria said…

    You bring up a good point.

    I think of a conversation I had with someone recently who couldn't grasp the value of blogging. My response was that it really depends on why you blog.

    In this case, if she is blogging to publish something widely read(and judging by the scads of "advertising" she has in her sidebar, I'm guessing this is the case), then she should make it new-user-friendly.

    If she wants to write for herself(this type of blogger wouldn't even have a hit counter), then they shouldn't worry about the reader's perspective.

    If you came across "Caffeine Girl's" blog by way of an article in the NY Times in which it was featured, then she is clearly looking to gain readership and should go with the former, versus the latter.

    I don't know if this makes sense...I'm just a blogging feline.

     
  • At 1:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been accused of having a blog with ADD, and I don't mind that. I'm the first person to admit that my site sort of skips and hops between being a diary and a blog. The complete lack of dicipline is naturally going to drive some potential readers crazy, but it is what it is. My site reflects my life, and that doesn't always make for a well organized blog.

    The NYT article was a happy accident. The author found me through Technorati and e-mailed a few questions. I figured that my blog wouldn't make the article, but she's also an NY to CT transplant and that particular angle seemed to interest her. What appeared in the article was more her take on my blog than mine. I was just flattered to be included at all. IMO some of the blogs that ended up being cut were far more relevent to life in CT than my own.

    As for switching to decaf, never!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home