Interesting Ramblings of a Brooklyn Girl

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Neuromancing its way into my Heart

I was confused when I found out we were going to be reading a literature book for our writing class. It is not a very common practice in most writing classes. I was also astonished when I learned that the book we were expected to read was William Gibson’s Neuromancer. From what I knew about the sci-fi novel was it was written in the 80s and Gibson was the first writer to coin the term cyberspace.

I admit that I had to read this book twice before I truly got a grasp on what Gibson was saying. I do think that we as readers of the new millennium are fortunate enough to be more comfortable with the terminology used in this book, as opposed to the readers back in the 80s. Words like matrix, cyberspace, microsoft, and artificial intelligence are commonplace in today’s vernacular. I believe that it would have been even harder to read this novel if I wasn’t familiar with these terms.

We are a generation raised on the Matrix trilogy. I recall in one of our class discussions, the protagonist character Case being compared to Neo from the Matrix. But we were informed that Neo is Case’s contemporary.

This book seemed to have all the elements to have it be made into a modern day cyberpunk movie. Gibson was a writer who was ahead of his time on his description of the internet.

I have to admit that after a few read-throughs, I began really getting into the storyline and what was happening to the characters. All in all I am really happy I was introduced to reading this book in my writing class.