Interesting Ramblings of a Brooklyn Girl

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Blogging for Dummies

It seems as though everywhere you turn people are talking about blogs. It’s on the news, it’s in the media, and there was even an article in the Fairfield University student news paper, The Fairfield Mirror. But there are just as many people out there who do not have the slightest clue of what a blog is.

Case in point, I was out to dinner last night with my family and I mentioned my new blog to them. Only one person at a table of five knew what I was talking about. So people may have heard of the term “blog,” but they still don’t know what it means exactly. I definitely spent at least twenty minutes trying to explain to my mother what it is. Personally I still don’t think she has a clue.

But I do have a solution. Everyone who has ever showed any confusion on what a blog is and where is came from should pick up the book “Who Let the Blogs Out” by Biz Stone. I have just finished reading this book and I thought it was the perfect book for blogging beginners. It almost seems as though it should be part of the for Dummies series.

I really feel I learned so much about the history of blogging from this book. This book gives the background of how blogging got started, and even gives the Webster's definition of the term
blog.

I 100% recommend this book for anyone who is looking to get swept up in the blogging crazy. I even recommend it to those who already are. It is well written and easy to read. I guarantee that if you pick up Stone's "Who Let the Blogs Out" you wouldn't want to put it down.