Interesting Ramblings of a Brooklyn Girl

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wiki Wiki What?

I thought I knew everything about digital writing and internet technology, but I was recently kicked off my high horse. With two current blogs and the creation of three plus websites, I thought I was pretty up to date about all the latest happenings on the web. UNITL NOW!!!!

I was recently introduced to the WIKI. “What is the wiki,” you may ask? According to the online
Wikipedia, a “wiki” encyclopedia, a wiki is a website that allows anyone to add, to remove, or otherwise to edit all content on the site, very quickly and easily.

A poplar wiki website is quoted saying it is “The simplest online database that could work.” This is untrue. I tried to post something on the site, and at first I had no success. “It’s hard for some people.”

But then after hours of GOOGLING all there was to know about wikis, I went back to the original “simplest online database” page and I GOT IT!!! I posted in a
sandbox. So check it out. It was a monumental moment for me. The secret that I figured out is I needed a code to post. If you ever plan on posting, the code is 567. Tough right? I am glad it took me a week and a half to figure that out.

I feel that I must offer some advise to anyone who plans on participating in a wiki. Do not try to be deceitful. If you want to delete someone’s information or put something stupid up on a wiki, DON’T EVEN BOTHER. It is said that most wiki vandalism is reversed after 5 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home